Mar 1, 2013

Chiwda

It was one of those days when I craved for something that would stimulate the tastebuds in the most primal way. Something "chatpata". Something dry. Basically, I wanted something that came out of a packet, but I didn't want to have something out of a packet either because I had been eating out more than I should. Since there was "poha" and peanuts at home, I decided to attempt chiwda, and it turned out better than the store bought stuff. I finished the entire amount in one sitting, then made some more for the hubby and kids.


Heat 1 tbsp cooking oil in a kadhai, and when it heats sufficiently, add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 2 red chillies and 2 sprigs of curry leaves. When the spluttering dies down, add 4-5 tbsp peanuts, and about 10 thin slices of copra, and fry on low heat till the peanuts are nicely done.
Add 2 small cups poha (beaten rice), 1/2 tsp each haldi powder and red chilli powder, a pinch of hing and salt to taste. Keep stirring on low heat till the poha becomes crisp, and evenly coated. Switch off the heat, and mix 1 tsp sugar.
Let it cool before packing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment