Sep 24, 2013

Eggless, but fail-proof, birthday cake

"Can you please give me a cannot fail eggless cake recipe", went out a frantic message to Kamini the weekend before my husband's birthday. Last year, I had been more than happy to experiment with a banana cake, but this year, I have the beginnings of a reputation as a cook to protect, and I didn't want to risk it on a disaster.

She came back to me immediately with a recipe for a basic yellow cake, which I followed to the letter. And the cake tasted much better than it looked.


3/4 cup butter softened 
1 2/3 cups castor sugar 
1tsp Baking Soda 
1Tbs Vinegar 
1/4 cup Curd (at room temp) 
2 tsp vanilla extract (or any other essence)
3 cups sifted cake flour (for cake flour, you add 1 tbsp cornflour to a cup of maida)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp salt 
1 1/3 cups milk

 

Pre-heat oven to 180C
Grease and dust the baking pans
Beat butter, sugar, curd, vinegar and vanilla together in a large bowl
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a separate bowl. 
Alternately add flour and milk to the wet mixture, mixing well after each addition. 
Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 30min.
Cool for 10min and turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment