Feb 11, 2014

Chauli- baigan ki subji

Though I have often seen this green sitting side by side with the palaks and methis, I've never thought to try it out. Maybe it was because I didn't have a recipe, or maybe it was because I am not particularly adventurous when it comes to greens. But this remained one of the few greens I haven't ever gone near. Until the other day when I was at the vegetable vendor with a friend, and asked her how she cooked it. "With baigan", was her reply. Immediately intrigued, I forced the recipe out of her in bits and pieces, and made it a couple of days later. I loved it, and the kids tolerated it, which is saying quite a lot!
1 bunch chauli leaves, destemmed, washed and chopped 250 gms small brinjals, cut into eighths 4-5 pods of garlic 1 green chilli 1 tsp jeera 1/2 tsp haldi powder Mustard oil Salt and sugar to taste Method Heat the oil, and splutter the jeera seeds. Add chopped garlic and the green chilli and fry till the garlic browns. Add the brinjals, and fry till partially cooked Add the greens, salt, sugar and turmeric powder, and mix well. Cover the pan, and let it cook in its own steam till done

No comments:

Post a Comment