Mar 20, 2014

Sunkissed- Marigold infused Vinegar

I almost always have marigolds blooming in my pots, so when I saw a recipe for Marigold infused Vinegar, I was tempted to give it a try. After plucking a few plump blossoms, I washed them clean, and proceeded to tear them open so the florets could dry in the sun. And I ran into trouble immediately- the wet florets stuck to the fingers, and spreading them out became a mammoth task. And after they were sundried, separating the orange flowers from the black and white seeds was another huge effort.
Next time, I shall definitely do it differently. And a next time there will be, because I did like the flavour of marigold in vinegar.


2 cups marigold flowers
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups vinegar

Method
With a sharp pair of scissors, chop off the orange part of the marigold flowers, and wash them in a steel colander. Once the water drains out, spread them out on a newspaper and let them dry in the sun for 4-5 hours (reserve the seeds for planting- you want the cycle of life to continue, don't you?)
Stuff the petals into a bottle, add the salt, sugar and vinegar, and shake well so it all dissolves. Keep it in a cool dry place for two weeks.
Decant the vinegar, throw away the petals and store.
Can be used as a salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment