May 16, 2014

Parupu

The best thing about Tam Bram cooking is the fact that every meal is a well balanced one, and it the main dishes don't provide all the nutrients, there will be an appropriate side dish that invariably complements it. Since her son loved rasam, my grandmother made it often, and everytime she did, there would be a big dish of Parupu for everyone to dig into. In time she realised that I loved the parupu more than many of the main dishes, so at every meal she would ensure I had my share of parupu on the side.
Despite loving the dish as much as I do, this is the first time I actually made Parupu, and it tasted every bit as good as I remember.
1 measure toor dal
1/2 tsp haldi powder
salt to taste
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves


Method
Cook the toor dal with haldi powder and minimum water for 2 whistles (one whistle, and the second one on sim).
Add salt to taste, mix well, smashing the dal slightly, if required.
Heat the oil, temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves, and pour over the parupu after the seeds stop spluttering.
Serve with piping hot rice, and Vatha Kuzumbu.

No comments:

Post a Comment